This time of year is a mix of opposites--one minute we're still and calm and are appreciating the simple beauty of the twinkling lights & in the same minute we're running through an endless list of tasks in our mind that need to get done while wondering where we're going to find the energy, time, money, etc. to do them all.
Stress Busters (You Haven't Tried Yet!)
- PUT THE GLOVES DOWN- Quit beating yourself up. Give yourself a break & remind yourself that you're not inferior because you're stressed. It's a normal part of life and being stressed is not a failure. It's a challenge that can be overcome!
- LAUGH-YouTube is a great place to find funny videos or try Funnyordie.com
- SAY THANK YOU-In even the worst situations there is something to be grateful for. Gratitude is healing, inspiring, and uplifting.
- SLEEP-Take naps & don't feel guilty! Sleep is your body's "reset" button.
- EXERCISE-start small & increase when you feel like you want to--not when you feel like you should. Try turning the music way up & dancing! 3 stress relievers in 1 (exercise, music, dance)
- CREATE-draw, color, doodle, shade, sketch--the motion of coloring, especially with crayons, is a proven stress reliever.
- TAKE 1 THING OUT OF YOUR DIET-Try getting rid of aspartame & MSG. Both are linked to headaches, fatigue, & to decreasing your ability to deal with stress/cope.
- LISTEN TO YOU-We often do things because we feel obligated. Clear your head of "have to" & ask yourself "Do I want to?" If a situation or person leaves you feeling worse after encountering them, then reconsider that situation/person's place in your life.
- BE KIND-Saying something nice to or doing something nice for someone else also increases our feelings of happiness & self worth. Donate, give, share, & smile!
- BE AN ANIMAL LOVER-Animals reduce stress. Animals are intuitive and loving and non-judgmental. If you can't have a pet of your own, visit a friend's or volunteer to walk dogs at a local shelter.
- And if you're in our neighborhood, try one of our stress-busting CLASSES!